Copper Waterstop System
We offer a range of Copper Waterstops designed and manufactured from phosphorus non-arsenical copper alloy at 1.0mm thick to AS1566 or BS EN 1172 international standards and specifications.
Copper Waterstops are predominantly used in water retaining structures such as dams, which receive very high hydrostatic heads of water pressure against the joint and provide a very high grade of performance and give resistance to certain types of chemical attack due to their durability, integrity and strength.
Copper Waterstops are available in three standard types and sizes (refer to physical dimensions) with custom shapes and sizes formed to your requirements. A range of factory made and quality controlled intersections can also be provided to decrease the problems associated with manufacturing them on site, leaving straight welded joins for the field.
We recommend that their copper waterstops be braze welded with silver brazing alloy (SBA 250) or equivalent type (refer to our joining/welding procedures) and after forming they are annealed at 200°C for one hour in an electric furnace and allowed to air cool.
Areas of Application
- Water Retaining Structures
- Dam & Hydro Structures
- Treatment Plants (Water & Sewage)
Note : The products design and performance, its intended use, installation and final confirmation and approval for use, must be provided by the project’s Design Engineer and Project Manager.
Centre Bulb Details
- Insert neoprene rubber rod (diameter to be the same size as width of internal rib width) into the top section of the centre bulb.
- Insert Closed Cell Polyethylene Fillerboard (thickness to be the same size as width of the internal bulb width) into the centre bulb so it sits directly under the neoprene rod.
At all locations where joints intersect to each other, the connection of the Copper Waterstop must be undertaken with the use of the specific factory fabricated intersection sections. These sections must be supplied by the manufacturer/supplier of the Copper Waterstop and be approved and inspected
by the relevant authority, prior to use. The straight overlap joining to these intersection pieces is undertaken at site based upon the recommended Joining/Welding Procedures as stated below.
Joining / Welding Procedures
- Joining of the Copper Waterstops shall be carried out by the contractor as shown in the drawings.
- The contractor shall provide all necessary joining materials and equipment.
- The joining procedure shall be carried out by the brazing welding method.
- The brazing alloy used for brazing shall be silver brazing alloy 250 (SBA 250) or an approved equivalent by the superintendent may be used.
- All areas to be joined shall be thoroughly cleaned and dried before undertaking the process.
- The Copper Waterstops shall be lapped by 100mm at the join areas.
- Parts to be joined shall be clamped together such that the gap between the areas to be brazed are within the range of 0.05mm – 0.10mm. Importance and extra care must be taken when brazing the expansion bulb area of the waterstop so as to make sure that it is fully welded and sealed.
- Brazing flux shall be silver brazing flux no. 2 or equivalent and shall be applied to the parts to be joined and to the brazing rods.
- The parts to be joined must be pre-heated with a neutral flame and when the correct temperature is achieved (recommended by the manufacturer), the brazing alloy shall be applied, keeping the torch in a constant moving motion.
Note : Minimum penetration of brazing alloy shall be 10mm.